Carolina Tiger Rescue, formerly the Carnivore Preservation Trust, is a 501(c)3 nonprofit wildlife sanctuary whose mission is saving and protecting wild cats in captivity and in the wild.
- Individual Volunteering
- Community Service
- Group Volunteering and Alternate Spring Break Opportunities
- How to Become a Volunteer
- Orientation dates and deadlines
- Applications and Documents to download
There are several ways that you can become a Carolina Tiger Rescue Volunteer. If you are interested in joining Carolina Tiger's Volunteer family, see details below.
Carolina Tiger Rescue has several volunteer roles available for individuals. We have positions available in Animal Care, Tours, Office, Construction, Special Events, and more.
We rely heavily on capable and dependable volunteers to help us maintain the facility and care for our resident animals; therefore we require that all individual volunteers commit to at least 12 consecutive months of service.
All volunteers must be at least 16 years old, with some positions requiring a minimum age of 18. Job descriptions are available below for current position availabilities. Please thoroughly review the Job Description for the position(s) you are interested in applying for before submitting your application. These descriptions will answer many of your questions regarding age requirements, monthly time commitments, and job details.
Due to the dangerous nature of the animals under our care, and the amount of training involved with each of our volunteer positions, we are not able to accommodate any other short-term opportunities for individuals.
Whether you have a group of coworkers, family, or friends, we offer group volunteer opportunities throughout the year. Our Workgroup volunteers fulfil a critical role and assist with a variety of different projects. They work directly with our Site Manager and help us build new enclosures, assist in grounds-keeping activities, and help us keep up with general maintenance projects throughout the compound. If you are interested in scheduling a workgroup, please fill out the Workgroup Application below and submit it to our Volunteer Coordinator.
All Workgroup participants must be at least 16 years old. Any participant under the age of 18 must bring in a completed and signed Minor Release form with them. Without this form signed by a legal parent/guardian, minors will not be able to participate in workgroup activities.
To apply to become an individual volunteer, please download and submit your completed application electronically or hardcopy by mail. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
We will send you an email notification when your application has been received. Due to the number of applications submitted, and the high demand for certain volunteer roles, we may not be able to immediately offer every applicant a position. We hold all applications on file for up to 6 months, and will notify you if a position opens up that matches your interest and availability. If you do not hear from us after 6 months, please reapply.
Volunteer Orientations are conducted every other month, and are offered by invitation only. When an Orientation date is approaching, we will schedule phone interviews with each applicant we have roles available for. After all phone interviews are completed, orientation invites will be sent out to those that are accepted into the program.
- Friday March 6th and Saturday March 7th 2:00PM – 5:00PM (Only need to attend one)
- Application Deadline is February 1st, 2015
- Interviews begin February 3rd
- Applicants notified by February 20th
- Friday May 1st and Saturday May 2nd 2:00PM – 5:00PM (Only need to attend one)
- Application Deadline is April 1st, 2015
- Interviews begin April 2nd
- Applicants notified by April 17th
- Friday July 10th and Saturday July 11th 2:00PM – 5:00PM (Only need to attend one)
- Application Deadline is June 1st, 2015
- Interviews begin June 2nd
- Applicants notified by June 26th
- Friday September 4th and Saturday September 5th 2:00PM – 5:00PM (Only need to attend one)
- Application Deadline is August 1st, 2015
- Interviews begin August 4th
- Applicants notifies by August 21st
- Friday November 6th and Saturday November 7th 2:00PM – 5:00PM (Only need to attend one)
- Application Deadline is October 1st, 2015
- Interviews begin October 6th
- Applicants notifies by October 23rd
All orientations dates are subject to change.
There is a $20, non-refundable, fee due at the time of orientation. This fee covers your training materials, volunteer nametag, and uniform t-shirt.
- Volunteer Application
- Group Volunteer Application
- Minor Release Form
- Job Descriptions
Please submit all applications to our Volunteer Coordinator at the following address:
Carolina Tiger Rescue c/o Maryssa Hill
1940 Hanks Chapel Road
Pittsboro, NC 27312
For questions about volunteering, or to submit an application electronically, please contact Volunteer Coordinator, Maryssa Hill.
If submitting an application, use the email address provided in the application and be sure to put “Volunteer Application” in the subject line of your email.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Carolina Tiger Rescue!